Remote Emergency Medical Technician
The REMT course is designed for individuals requiring an EMT certification for work in remote and austere locations worldwide. Past students have been from the security, energy, international guides and academic industries. If you work or spend time in austere environments where access to medical care is often delayed and communication is unreliable, this six-day course is for you! The REMT and WFR are the industry standard for mountain leaders, professional guides, close protection team leaders, expeditions, and search and rescue team members.
Certifications: Remote EMT and an optional Tactical Responder
The REMT course provides medical skills and didactic learning for those looking to work in austere, remote and resource-poor environments.
IBSC Tactical Responder
REMT graduates are allowed to sit the board-certified Tactical Responder (TR-C) exam. The TR-C shows competency in casualty assessment, stabilisation, and evacuation in hostile and austere environments and supports the paramedic role, as well as thorough familiarity with tactical principles, triage, and operational medicine. TR-C candidates are operators functioning within a team and commonly have a primary role as a security team member with a secondary medic role. Click on the logo on the right for more information.
There are two parts to this Remote EMT qualification:
Part 1: Online training
The REMT programme starts with sixty hours of online eLearning-based content. All lessons must be completed, all 40 online exams taken and the patient scenarios submitted to our tutors before you can be issued a completion certificate.
Part 2: Classroom training
Once you have completed and passed the online training, you come to Malta for six days of extensive classroom experience. Most of the week is hands-on with some lectures that will review the essential topics learned during the online training.
Once you register for the Part I: Online Remote EMT course, we will send you a free copy of our digital Field Guide.
REMT Course Content
- 40 hours of online content
- Basic Life Support for healthcare providers
- Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Patient assessment using CABC
- Catastrophic haemorrhage and tourniquets
- Airway management, including supraglottic
- Breathing emergencies
- Needle decompression and chest seals
- Circulation emergencies
- Shock, burns and crush injuries
- Disability emergencies
- Traction splints and pelvic binders
- Environmental emergencies
- Vital signs including BP and SPO2
- ACLS for EMTs
- Prolonged Field Care
- Improvised medicine
- Altitude emergencies
- Intro to tropical medicine
- Pharmacology and drugs management
- Patient packaging and litter
- Top 20 ailments seen in remote clinics
- Extended live casualty scenario with hands-on prolonged field care
Live Casualty Simulations
The REMT course includes hands-on experience with live casualty scenarios with special effects makeup.
Prolonged Field Care
The College of Remote and Offshore Medicine incorporates PFC scenarios during this course. Delegates will be required to assess, manage and monitor their casualties for extended periods of time in resource-poor environments.
- 12-17 September 2022 Pretty Bay, Malta 2 places left.
- 7-12 November 2022 Pretty Bay, Malta 8 places left.
We will follow the instructions from the Maltese Authorities on their Covid-19 response. We may have to again postpone this course due to the current pandemic.